Doug Ford: Keep Your Greenbelt Promise: https://greenbeltpromise.ca/
Can you spare an hour to stand up for our wetlands?
Our wetlands support us in many ways including:
• Filtering and cleaning our water,
• Preventing flooding, erosion and landslides,
• Offering trails and recreation opportunities that contribute to public well-being, and
• Supporting biodiversity by accommodating endangered and threatened species.
Now we need to stand up for them. 72% of wetlands in south-central Ontario – including swamps, marshes, bogs and fens — have already been lost. Bill 23 and other recent legislation threaten our wetlands further by:
• Treating each wetland in isolation without considering the system as a whole,
• Making protected status harder to achieve and subjecting existing protected wetlands to re-classification,
• Permitting previously prohibited development on wetlands,
• Barring Conservation Authorities from considering land conservation and pollution in their decisions, and
• Requiring Conservation Authorities to identify their lands that could be sold off for development.
This World Wetlands Day, let’s stand together in support of local wetlands and our Conservation Authorities. And against Bill 23, dismantling of the Greenbelt and Conservation Land sell-offs.
Bring a creative sign or wave one of ours.
- 1:00pm to 2:00pm, Saturday, 4 February 2023
- Dumfries Conservation Area
- South-west corner of Hespeler Rd and Dunbar Rd Map
Transit stop at Hespeler and Dunbar.
Local parking available, including on nearby Briarwood Drive.
Rain or shine!
Questions? Connect with Colleen Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org